HISTORICAL ACCOUNT OF NORTHUMBERLAND COUNTY
The present organization, known today as Good News Club, Inc. of Northumberland County, began in 1955. According to the charter, the present organization was incorporated on June 2, 1958.
The Purposes of the corporation as stated on the charter are: (A) Promote and conduct Home Bible Classes for children; (B) Foster and carry on Open-Air Evangelism; (C) Visit isolated homes with the Gospel and literature for children and adults; (D) Conduct conferences for children’s workers; (E) Conduct Teacher Training Classes; (F) Cooperate with Child Evangelism Fellowship, Inc., Bible-believing churches, and every other Christian agency that is working to teach the Word of God to lead souls to Christ. The organization, however, will remain free and any organic connection with an denomination or association of churches or denominations or other Christian agencies; (G) Organize this type ministry as widely as possible throughout the county.
The original committee consisted of: William Furman, president; Fred Troxell, vice-president; Marguerite Wildsmith, secretary; Edward L. Houser, treasurer; H. Alvin Zimmerman; Carrie Zimmerman; Raymond Martsolf; Dorothy Martsolf; Jay Lesher; Elva Lesher, board members and Mable Ruth Wray, director.
The total amount of assets at the time of incorporation was $1,900.00.
The organization purchased property in 1962 for it’s first headquarters. This property was located at 901 N. Fourth St. in Sunbury, PA. Around 1981, property was donated by Fred Troxell for a new and larger headquarters facility. The main building of this facility was dedicated on June 6, 1982. By 1987, through an estate gift of Beatrice Rettinger and other gifts and memorials, a three-car garage and camp room center was added. This completes the now existing headquarters on 53 Blue Hill in Northumberland PA. The headquarters consists of housing for its director(s), training room/camp room center, offices, bookstore, library, and garage.
The directors of the ministry from 1955 to the current date, have been: Mable Ruth Wray 1955-1972; Betty Reichard Walters 1973-1975; Nancy Benedict and Welda Bell 1975-1987; Joanie Fifield and Velma Hegarty 1990-2008. From 2008 to 2013, the state director filled the role of acting county director and Natalie Brace (2008-2012) and then Anna Bradigan (2013) served as the associate director. Currently, Anna Bradigan serves as county director. There may have been others assisting the various directors during these time periods.
Camp Good News Overnight Camp was started in 1964. The camp originally started while Mable Ruth Wray was director with the assistance of Velma J. Hegarty and Arlene Champoux Spearin. The camp was first held at Muncy Terrace in Muncy, PA. Eventually the camp location moved to Mountain View Bible Camp in Snydertown, PA, where it is still being held to this date. This year, 2020, will be our 56th year of camping.